Saturday, February 27, 2010

Oh Canada, my home and native land...


This is the last weekend of the Vancouver Olympics, which is extremely exciting because it means we finally get to crush the Americans in hockey and get ourselves yet another gold medal (yes, you saw that correctly. Canada has more gold than the little old USA!). But it also a very sad weekend because it means the Olympics are over. And there won't be another Olympics for two more years, another winter Olympics for four years, and another Canadian Olympics for who-knows-how-long. We've been building up to Vancouver for so long, and now it's almost over...

But this also means it is time for the closing ceremonies. They better be good, that's all I have to say, after the disaster which was the opening ceremonies (and I'm not even talking about the stupid internal torch thing breaking). Because seriously, if I have have to see more native stuff and hear more french, I am going to go crazy.

Now, let me start by saying that I recognize that First Nations people are an important part of Canada, past and present, just like the French. But I also recognize that they are only ONE PART of our vast nation. One TINY part, who got one GIANT piece of the opening ceremonies.
And, on top of that, we have to play to EVERY SINGLE STEREOTYPE IN THE BOOK (can you tell that I'm mad about this?). Mounties. Igloos. Prairies. I mean what's going to happen at the closing ceremonies? We have no stereotypes left! (except possibly the whole maple syrup thing).

So, as the famous beer commercial goes--I AM CANADIAN!


(and I really want this t-shirt. Or this one, just to prove it!).

P.S. Want to feel some Canadian pride? Go to this link or this one.
OH CANADA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...