Sunday, May 15, 2011

Freedom: So close I can taste it, hear it, feel it, read it

I only have one week left! Well, eight days, but close enough! I can't believe it! I am so freaking excited!!!! I have been doing stupid IB assignments and presentations and assessments and exams for so freaking long! And it's finally ending! HALLELUJAH!

It seemed like the time would never come, but seeing as it almost has, it's time to pull out my master book list. All the must reads that were released during this exam month from hell. All the awesome books I found on amazon or read about on fabulous book blogs. A whole spread of authors--some old favourite, some I've heard of for a long time, and some brand spanking new authors I just discovered. The list is long, and it'll probably take me forever to get through them. YAYAYAYAY!

If anyone bothered to read my last post, I tacked a little bit on the bottom about how I haven't been able to read for months because of studying, offering an apology to an bibliophiles who wanted some good book stuff. To remedy such a problem (and share some of my mounting excitement), I've decided to share the my list with all of you. YAYAY! 

1) What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

Level of Excitement: I have to have this book. It's freaking me out that there is a Sarah Dessen book out on the shelves right now that I haven't read. That hasn't happened, in, well, ever. It pains me knowing that it's right there, on the shelf, ready to purchase. I spend half my day resisting the temptation to buy it. But I know I can't, because once I have it in my possession, I will not be able to stop myself from reading it. 

Why I Want It: It's a Sarah Dessen. It's guaranteed to be AMAZING. Her books just keep getting better and better and I can't wait to see what she has in store this time. I don't love the premise, but I'm sure Sarah will do fantastic things with it.

2) Between Here and Forever by Elizabeth Scott


Level of Excitement: Meh. I didn't love or even really like the other Elizabeth Scott's I've read, and this one has gotten lukewarm reviews at best. But still, part of me wants to read it...

Why I Want It: I want to give Elizabeth Scott another chance. And the cover looks really pretty.




3) Bumped by Megan McCafferty

Level of Excitement: Cautious excitement. 

Why I Want It: I loved the Jessica Darling series (Jessica and Marcus! Jessica and Marcus!), but this is a big departure from that. So far, all the reviews I've read LOVE IT, so that's a good sign. Any way about it, it's Megan McCafferty, so it's at least guaranteed to be funny. I have always been cautious to include Megan McCafferty on my list of favourite authors, since I've only ever seen one series from her. To truly judge an author, I like to see them try out different characters, different premises. If this one is as good as everyone says it is, I see Ms. McCafferty getting a permanent spot on my must read list. 


4) So Much Closer by Susane Colasanti


Level of Excitement: Pretty low, actually. I might pick it up and give the first few pages a read, just to see what it's like. 

Why I Want It: Again, to give an author another chance. I don't love Susane Colasanti's writing style, but I can appreciate it.  I didn't read her last book, about the girl dating her best friend's boyfriend, because I hate premises like that. But I really liked When It Happens and I enjoyed Take Me There, so, it could be good. 


5) The Boyfriend List Series by E. Lockhart


Level of Excitement: Pretty high for an author I have never read.

Why I Want It: I read an excerpt online, and it was pretty entertaining. Plus, reviews have been great. And, if I like the first one, there's many more! Yay, yay, yay!





6) The Little Blue Envelope Series by Maureen Johnson 


Level of Excitement: High enough. 

Why I Want It: This is one of those YA books that's been floating around for a while, that I never really got to. I don't know why. The title sounded stupid or something. But then I read a great review, and I heard there was a sequel, so I figured I better check it out.





7) Things I Know About Love by Kate Le Vann

Level of Excitement: About average. 

Why I Want It: I read a review of this one a while ago that really liked it. And the title sounds cool. I'll pick it up, read the first few pages, see what it's like.








8) My Life, the Theater, and Other Tragedies by Allen Zadoff

Level of Excitement: Above average. Pretty high for a book with a male protagonist that's younger than me. I rarely read out of gender and young at the same time, so you have to know this one's pretty special. 

Why I Want It: I read Allen Zadoff's last book and liked it. And I am a complete theatre geek, so I'm sure I'll love any part of that plot. And, reviews are good, which can never hurt.




9) If I Stay and Where She Went by Gayle Forman


Level of Excitement: Pretty high. 

Why I Want It: If I Stay is another book that I've been aware of in the YA sphere, but never really found time to read. When I started reading all these reviews for Where She Went, I really wanted to read it. So I did my research and I plan on picking up my copy of If I Stay (and Where She Went, if I can afford it, but we'll see. These's books are going to cost me a LOT of money). 



10) Abandon by Meg Cabot

Level of Excitement: Cautious optimism. I was going to skip this one, but I got pulled in once again.

Why I Want It: I love Meg Cabot. Princess Diaries, All American Girl, Teen Idol, How to Be Popular, event the freaking Airhead series. But she's been writing in a direction I haven't liked for a while, veering away from her usual everyday teen stuff into paranormalcy and vampires and whatever. For a Meg Cabot fan, I sure haven't read a book of hers in a while. And I wasn't going to pick this one up. But...Sarah Dessen reccomended it. Pathetic, I know. I shouldn't need any reccomendation for a Cabot book. But I did, and now I'm going to give this one a try. Hang out with one of my favourite authors for the first time in a very long time. We'll see how it goes. 

2 comments:

  1. What Happened to Goodbye and Where She Went = SOOOO GOOOD OMFG

    Also. Hi. I'm Audrey, and I swear we are twins or something. I'm Canadian, gradding this year and... I can pretty much quote everything from Mean Girls. BBT is the best show on TV and Booth + Brennan =LOVE. Sheldon- best character, dorkiest, and funniest. Friends = huuuuge fan, best comedy ever. For a french assignment, we needed to do a 'roommate ad' and I was tempted to write "non-smoker, non-ugly". I'm sure you understand :P. Anyways, I hope you don't mind I've semi-stalked your blog tonight (when I should've been working on chem) but yeah. I love your pop culture posts, it seems weird b/c I'm so school-ish but I'm obsessed with celebs/pop culture/tv as well :p haha, anyways, I'll be back to browse around some more, as long as you don't block my IP address or something (I swear I'm totally normal!!) It's the exam stress!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to say, this about the best comment ever. Thank you so much!

    Wow, yeah, we have a lot in common. Where to begin. BBT rocks (how do you feel about Amy?). Booth and Brennan better get together in this week's episode, or I'm going to go crazy. I can't wait any longer.

    Love your Friends reference. Friends was pretty much all I watched between the ages of eleven and fourteen, so yeah, I'm pretty obsessed.

    I stalk blogs all the time, and I'll be sure to check out yours.

    Come back! Come back! Comment all the time! I love you! Now I sound creepy. I'll blame it on exam stress too.

    What part of Canada are you from? (I understand if you don't feel comfortable answering, I was just wondering, but wound up being even more creepy. Oh well.) If I haven't creeped you out too much, I encourage you to come back often. I'm done exams in less than a week, so I promise tons of pop culture--including a nice long review of the Bones finale, where, hopefully, I can use lots of exclamation marks because it is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...