Sunday, March 7, 2010

And The Oscar Goes to...


It's here! It's here! The biggest entertainment day of the year! Yes, today is the day that us pop culture junkies wait for all year. All the movies. All the celebrities. All the suspense. It's a truly magical night and it's FINALLY here.

Oh, where to start? I love this night so much. From top to bottom, there's so much to see. There's the outfits, the hosts, the awards, the acceptance speeches. And this year, there's so much drama--Hurt Locker vs. Avatar for Best Picture, Bigelow vs. Cameron for Best Director (ex-spouses! First woman to win best director! Most arrogant man of all-time!), Streep vs. Bullock for Best Actress. Unlike in previous years, there's no favourite to sweep the awards a la 2009's Slumdog Millionaire (which I did not see, making last year a snooze) or 2003's Return of the King (didn't see that one either. Didn't read the books either. I really didn't know what was going on). There could be real drama! So exciting! (doesn't it seem like I've taken some type of drug before writing this post? All the exclamation marks...).

I have been reading articles about the Oscars for months now, bookmarking them for this exact post. I have read many predictions and many pieces of trivia and I feel about ready to make my predictions. Drumroll please...

1) Best Picture
Seeing as I have seen only 2/10 nominated pictures (Up and Up in the Air), some would say I am an unfair judge. But, as in my last post, you know what I say? Who cares. I have opinions, God dammit, and I'm going to share them. Of the two I've seen, I think Up in the Air should win, even if it was a little depressing and even though it stars a girl from Twilight. From what I''ve been reading, though, this film has little shot at winning. Out of the only two real contenders left, Avatar and The Hurt Locker, I would pick The Hurt Locker. Not only has it been getting good buzz, but I would rather stab myself in the eye than have to listen to another James Cameron acceptance speech (I'm King of the World! Oh god, kill me now). Although, I would rather see a total surprise winner, like District 9 or A Serious Man, to shake things up (though I really hope The Blindside loses. I really hate that film).

Final Prediction: The Hurt Locker

2) Best Director
Again, I have only seen one of these films. But what does that matter? I still hate hate hate hate HATE James Cameron, even if he is Canadian (bet you didn't know he was Canadian. Yes, he's one of the ones we're ashamed of, like Pamela Anderson). And I'm always pulling for women's rights, so I'd have to go with the masses and say Kathryn Bigelow (even if she does spell her name with a y instead of an i, ruining my life). After my theatre class last semester I have a new appreciation for directors (now that I actually know what they do. Now, if I could just figure out what producers are paid for, I'd be all set).

Final Prediction: Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker

3) Best Actress
I'm going to go against the tide in this category and pick Meryl Streep. Like the Sean Penn-Mickey Rourke upset of last year, I think there could be a surprise in this category. And I'm sorry, but an actress who's previous work includes All About Steve, Miss Congeniality 2, and Two Weeks Notice, can't possibly be in contention. And for such a sappy, predictable movie like The Blindside. I didn't see it, true, but the trailer made me sick enough to know. Plus, the academy loves Meryl (god knows I don't, but I did enjoy It's Complicated and her half of Julie & Julia). This could be a major upset...

Final Prediction: Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia

4) Best Actor
I feel an obligation to include this category because I included its counterpart, but really I don't care. George Clooney was alright in Up in the Air, I guess. I don't know. But sure, I want Jeff Bridges to win. He seems like a nice guy, a guy who deserves it. Sure, why not?

Final Prediction: Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart

Now, seeing as the Best Supporting Actor and Actress are sewn up by Christoph Waltz and Mo'nique respectively, there's really no point in discussing them. And I really have no idea about all the other smaller categories (though I do want Weary Kind (Theme from Crazy Heart), to win. I listen to it on iTunes all the time). I suppose then, I will stop here (good thing, cause I've got some homework callin' my name. Pretty loudly). SOOOOOOO excited for tonight. Hope it's as scandalous as possible (for what is life, without some streakers?)! Good day and good luck to all the Oscar contenders (except James Cameron and The Blindside, of course)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...